Thursday, August 2, 2007

Interview: Koena Mitra

Koena Mitra is the new Rebecca. Yes, she plays the complex leading lady of Ananth Mahadevan’s adaptation of the Daphne du Maurier classic taken to celluloid by Alfred Hitchcock. No wonder it was Anamika that Koena spoke to Pratim D. Gupta about the most during her two-day trip to Calcutta for the STAR Ananda Shera Bangali Award Ceremony. Highlights from the chat...

You flew in a day early for the function...
I came home (smiles). I had to spend a day with my greater family. You know, my mom and dad, they keep coming to Mumbai, but my cousins and uncles and aunts, I don’t get to spend any time with them. So, I came in on Friday, had a great Bengali lunch and spent the entire day at home. Darun laglo!

You don’t perform that much in Calcutta...
Call it my bad luck, but for the last three years I have performed so many times in so many places in India but in Calcutta I just did the one show — Grasim Mr India. So the STAR Ananda performance was my second one here and I really loved it.

You are all keyed up about Anamika...
It is the best role of my career. It’s not about 15 minutes there somewhere. This time I don’t have to say that my dress designer did a great job. This is the first time someone has cast me completely on the basis of performance. And that’s what makes me so excited.

But isn’t Anamika a complete copy of Rebecca?
Yes, the basic idea is Rebecca. Anamika does talk about a dead wife and a romantic story revolving around three characters (others being Dino Morea and Minissha Lamba). But it’s not really shaped as a thriller. There is a lot of suspense but it is also about the romance, with some great music by Anu Malik. I have two superhit songs — one a situational one, the other that will be used as the promotional video.

What else is on your plate?
I am not allowed to give out details but I can tell you that I am doing a film with Pritish Nandy Communications, one with Subhash Ghai, one with Sanjay Gupta, and two others with two newcomers, Purnima and Sameer.

You are also getting an animation avatar in EKEH 2.0?
Yes, my character in Ek Khiladi Ek Hasina will be made into an animated figure. It must be quite cute looking at my own cartoon avatar! But that will take some time.

What about TV actress Dolly Bindra accusing you of cheating?
It is a sub judice case. Let me say that if somebody comes tomorrow and claims to be my daughter or father, it will be difficult to just prove that person wrong. It’s just that when you are a celebrity, people take advantage of you.

No comments: