Thursday, August 2, 2007

Interview: Nisha Kothari

Nisha Kothari is Ram Gopal Varma’s Basanti. But in the trademark Mumbaiyya tapori style. Even as Ram Gopal Varma Ke Aag braves one storm after another from the original Sholay camp, here’s what Ghungroo — Basanti’s new avatar — has to say about Sholay 2007 to Pratim D. Gupta.

What was your first reaction when you were offered the role of Basanti in the new Sholay?
I felt happy because I was getting to be part of such a big movie. So above anything else it was about getting the opportunity to work with big stars. I had not worked with such big stars before.

Are you a big Sholay fan?
No. It’s not that I don’t like it. Come on, nobody can hate Sholay. But I am no die-hard fan.

So you don’t feel any pressure of playing Basanti, one of the cult characters of Indian cinema?
See, there can only be one Basanti. Nobody can imitate Hema Malini. She is just mindblowing. But Ghungroo, my character, is very different from Basanti. I know people will compare because Ghungroo is a replacement for Basanti.

And how is Ghungroo different from Basanti?
The earlier film had a village atmosphere. This one is set in a town. She drives an auto-rickshaw. So, she is carrying a very different attitude. Right from the way she speaks. And, of course, the way she looks.

Was Ghungroo entirely conceived by Ram Gopal Varma or did you provide inputs?
It was a mutual thing. Ramuji gives a lot of freedom to actors to improvise and come up with ideas. He just told me: “I want a tapori.” Then we had a couple of photoshoots. Once the look was decided things became easy. I mostly wear jeans and colourful ganjees in the film. And there’s almost always a beedi on my lips.
lYou play an auto-rickshaw driver in the film. Did you do any homework for that?
No, I did not do much homework. There was more of spontaneous action. As long as the director liked it, I was fine.

So how were your big co-stars — Ajay Devgan and Sushmita Sen?
Ajay Devgan was very professional. Whenever I would not understand a particular scene, he would help me out. As for Sushmita, she is stunningly beautiful. Unlike the first Sholay, here I do have some scenes with her character and even a song. I don’t know many film people but I found Sushmita to be a great human being. The way she made me feel comfortable on the sets...

Everyone is shouting out his or her view. What is your take on Sholay being remade?
My point is if somebody is remaking a blockbuster like Sholay, he must be having tremendous guts. And Ramuji has shown that. He is a very talented film-maker. Whenever I asked him why he is making this film, he would say that since he loves the film so much he wants to do it his own way. He also believes that today’s generation would want to see a new Sholay.

You are doing a Telugu film. So it’s ok to do a film outside the Varma camp?
I have proved that earlier with The Killer. I can do any film I want. There’s no problem with him or from anybody.

No comments: