Thursday, August 2, 2007

Interview: Lara Dutta

Lara Dutta is having the time of her life — juggling Aishwarya Rai’s men past and present, on-screen of course! First the former Miss Universe did the Jhoom with Abhishek Bachchan. And now she’s busy playing Partner to Salman Khan. Lara, who till the other day was best known for her item number Aisa jadoo (in Khakee), has hit the groove. And she knows it as Pratim D. Gupta found out

Back-to-back films opposite Abhishek Bachchan and Salman Khan. This must be your best phase in Bollywood...
(Smiles) Oh yes, and I am very excited. You know, I wanted this to happen for a really long time. Jhoom Barabar Jhoom didn’t do that well at the box office but I personally got a lot of acclaim from the industry and outside. Now, I am getting much better work than I have in the past.

Why did it take you so long to establish yourself as compared to say Priyanka Chopra, who started with you in Andaaz...
It took me time to learn what works for me. I started out doing everything that a Bollywood heroine does, and then I did No Entry. After that film I realised that comedy was my forte. I don’t know of any actress in India who has better comic timing. It’s a lot about fate, what clicks for whom and when. But now I enjoy doing my movies and I have won a lot of appreciation from different quarters.

What does a David Dhawan movie mean to you?
I always wanted to work with David. I have loved his cinema. It’s a unique school of movies. Very spontaneous, very high energy... Someone like Govinda brings so much to a scene. Very impromptu... You have to be on your toes all the time because you never know what he is throwing at you next. It also helps you hone your craft.

No Entry was by Anees Bazmee while Partner is by David. What is different in their approach to comedy?
Anees pretty much works out of a script. So for No Entry, we adhered to the script. And then most of my scenes were with Anil Kapoor who rehearses a scene many times before going for the take. When it comes to David Dhawan, the script is there but it is a lot free flow. The actors, whether it’s Govinda or Salman, bring a lot of themselves to the scene.

Salman is your man in the movie. What did you think of him?
Oh, he’s great. I have only known Salman at a social level rather than on the sets. In Partner, I met Salman the actor for the first time. I found him to be a secure actor. He is happy and really helpful. I was very comfortable with him.

Between Salman and Govinda, where do you and Katrina figure?
Well, since Salman plays the love doctor and I am the only case he cannot solve, I am important (smiles). In fact, my character of the nosey, snoopy journalist is the turning point in his life because I am responsible for the change in him. It’s a really cute role and the prize was getting to work with David Dhawan. And watching Salman and Govinda together was such a treat. It was difficult to keep a straight face (laughs). There’s fabulous chemistry between them. The scene would happen right there as they kept feeding off each other. I didn’t even feel that I was working.

So will things continue to be ‘queen size’ from now on?
Yes, yes, yes! I am getting better everyday and I am signing some very good projects. I am sorry I can’t announce them because it is the producers’ prerogative to talk about them first. But they are substantial roles which audiences will surely appreciate on screen. Most importantly, it’s no longer about three scenes and two songs.

No comments: