Thursday, August 2, 2007

Interview: Urvashi Sharma

After a whole lot of advertisements and music videos (for Mika and Atif), Urvashi Sharma is getting her big break today in Abbas-Mustan’s Naqaab. Pratim D. Gupta chats up the new hot bod in tinseltown.

Did you always want to get into movies? How did it all begin?
I come from a middle-class Punjabi family in Delhi. We are three sisters, with me being the middle one. My dad was a government employee. Modelling is where I started and Bollywood was where I always wanted to be. My first few campaigns were for Ponds, Garnier, Kit Kat, Monte Carlo... Since I was also doing well in the modelling circuit in Delhi, the shift to Mumbai was easier. It helped me survive here. I just had dreams in my eyes...
I had no background or support that would take me to my dreams. I signed up with Elite Modelling Agency, who professionally managed my modelling career.

Why did you agree to do the raunchy music video for Mika?
I am contracted to Tips Talent division. They are charting out my career in a very professional manner. In Mika’s video Something something they have presented me very sensually, while in Atif’s Doorie I’m a very sweet simple Indian girl. In Naqaab, they have given me a complex character. In my debut, I am getting an opportunity to showcase my versatility. What else can a debutante ask for?

How did you bag Naqaab? What was the screen test like?
My ad campaigns, which were simultaneously being splashed across all media, caught the attention of the producers at Tips Film. They then signed me on for an eight-film contract with their talent division. When I was asked to do a screen test for Naqaab, I felt as any newcomer would — a bit nervous. But I was confident too as I had been a successful model and had a basic understanding of camera angles.

How did you feel when they signed you on?
It was a moment of truth, because Bollywood was where I had always aspired to be. It was a realisation of my dreams.

Was Bollywood as you imagined it? How were your co-stars Bobby Deol and Akshaye Khanna?
With such a huge set-up of Abbas-Mustan, the masters in this genre at the helm, and with Bobby Deol and Akshaye Khanna you couldn’t ask for more. It’s such a dream come true. It revolves around the three protagonists and how the mask is slowly unveiled, that will destroy their future.
Bobby Deol is such a nice human being and a good actor. He made me so comfortable on the sets, though I was making my debut. Also the fact that I am a Punjabi, added to the comfort level on the sets.
Akshaye Khanna was very sweet. In fact, whenever I got stuck doing a difficult scene he would help me with my lines and show me how to enact it.

You are being called the hottest newcomer of the year. How would you rate yourself?
I would prefer the audience to be the judge. I have given my best in my debut film and would hope the audience would appreciate the hard work. The eight-film contract is the best thing to have happened to me. It’s a first for a newcomer in Bollywood. I am very comfortable with the contract. And though I am on contract with Tips, I can do films with other banners too. I am living my dreams.

No comments: